Coconut rice is made with many variations. One version is when chana dal and rice are steam cooked along with grated coconut.
Here is how to cook coconut rice:
Chana dal: 200 gms
Rice: 350 gms
Coconut: One half of a whole coconut (can use the whole coconut if the size is small)
Mustard seeds: ½ tsp
Cumin seeds: ½ tsp
Urad dal: ½ tsp
Red chilli (Whole): 2
Curry leaves: 4-5
Salt to taste
- Soak the chanal dal for one hour before cooking. Rinse the rice before cooking.
- Take oil in a pan and heat it. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, red chilli and curry leaves in to it. Once the mustard seeds start to crackle, add soaked chana dal and rice and mix the ingredients well. Add adequate water, but see to it that you add only as much water the whole mixture needs to cook.
- Add salt and grated coconut. Put the lid on the vessel and allow it to cook for 10 minutes. - After 10 minutes, mix the ingredients well and see how well cooked the chana and rice are. If you feel it will get ready by another five to 10 minutes, then allow the entire thing to cook in a low flame. Add another two spoons of oil at the same time. Let it settle for a while.
- If you want to cook it in a pressure cooker, it will taste equally better. But add less water than what you would have if you were cooking in a vessel.
- Serve the hot coconut rice will appadam and piping hot rasam. It is indeed a yum treat for taste buds.
Sourse : Times of India