A PHP Error was encountered

Severity: 8192

Message: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead

Filename: core/Router.php

Line Number: 114

Why is it that opposites attract?
images
 flag  India flag
sub icon

life_styleTaking a cue from the movie Wake up Sid, where the career-focussed Aisha, ( Konkona Sen Sarma) despite her grit to settle for a 'man' and not a 'boy', falls in love with the good-for-nothing Sid ( Ranbir Kapoor), one can rightly conclude that yes, opposites do get attracted to each other.

The attraction part, however, is just the beginning. The real story begins to unfold when two people contrastingly different from each other in terms of personality, likes, dislikes, and habits, discover each other's 'opposite' traits and endeavour to make the relationship work. What is the underlying thought behind this concept? Marriage and relationship counsellor Gitanjali Sharma explains, "The biological reason is Major Histocompatability Complex (MHC), which means that we get attracted to a person who has a pool of genes different from ours. To put it simply, it is a natural science wherein the other person's genes make up for the genes that we might not have".

'She's different and that's why I like her'
For 29-year-old Navin, banking professional, emails and chatting on Gtalk are perhaps the only forms of 'online communication' he dares to indulge in. On the other hand, his girlfriend Payal, a digital media manager with an MNC, is not only well-versed with state-of-the-art technologies but is an active social media buff too. "She has about 500+ friends on Facebook and I've lost count of her Twitter followers. I still pay my bills using cheques so you can imagine how different we are," says he. So does the online-offline disconnect ever seep into their relationship? "It used to bother me a little earlier but gradually I've learned to accept her the way she is. In fact, I too am trying to hone my 'techie' skills", he laughs.

Being different is not a choice
Relationships bring expectations and hence it is imperative to enable a sense of mutual fulfilment. The opposites-attract concept works in a way that one person is overtly expressive and the other is not. "Relationships are a lot like musical instruments that need tuning", says Dr Sameer Malhotra, Head of Department of Mental Health and Behavioural Sciences, Max hospital.

Balancing it out what M. Preethi, an Assistant Manager with a BPO also believes in, "My friends and I are a bunch of crazy people who love to party while my fiance likes to sit and enjoy his beer in a corner, avoiding any interaction. Despite this, he plays host to ensure that I am happy. I, on the other hand, surprise him by taking him out on dinner dates."

Every human being has specific needs that must be looked after. Conflicts arise when these needs go unaddressed due to difference in personalities and hence disparities occur in understanding each other. Yet, no one likes a clone. Similarities may seem exciting at first but one soon realises that there's nothing new to look forward to. Opposites or not, in the end it's all about introspection and consultation to understand your better-half better.

Sourse : Times of India

No Replies
Leave a Reply Here
Enter Your Name
Enter your Email
Enter your Contact No
Enter Your Message
Enter the code