A concert by controversial Punjabi pop singer Honey Singh has been put off by the organisers, with the authorities withdrawing its permission to hold the show.
The concert was slated to be held at the Nagpur Municipal Corporation's sport complex on August 10.
The District Sports Complex Committee headed by the divisional commissioner had earlier granted permission to hold the concert at the complex, but several organisations, such as Bajrang Dal, Sikh Welfare Society and Maharashtra Navnirman Sena, opposed it saying the singer's songs had "vulgar" contents. The committee withdrew the permission a couple of days ago.
Organisers Innovative Solutions and Events Private Limited, having the delegated power on behalf of original organisers SAR Entertainment, had then moved the High Court seeking relief. They argued that they had deposited over Rs 7 lakh with the authorities as rent and security for the programme.
The High Court issued notices to civic authorities on Wednesday, seeking to know its position on the withdrawal of permission.
Government pleader Nitin Sambre told the court on Thursday that the organisers did not have the mandatory police permission and premises and performance license.
He also pointed out that the original organisers, SAR Entertainment, which had been granted permission did not appear in the court.
The court asked the petitioner's lawyer, Prakash Naidu, as to how it would secure the permissions now without which the show couldn't be allowed.
"We had little time to fulfill these conditions for which our applications had been pending with these authorities. We could not get the permissions because of the cancellation of venue. So, we decided to withdraw the petition unconditionally and eventually postpone the programme," Naidu said.